Aug 29, 2012 clicker passing
It brings me great sadness to let you know that Aaron Lucas has passed away, of an apparent heart attack. He was a great DoubleClicker – a TAM, trainer, and most recently, in sales. Everyone who knew him liked him and he made all the time with him funny and rich. He’ll be sorely missed by a great many people.
Aug 29, 2012 Job Postings
Job Description – not your ordinary shop.. check it out!
GiftsthatGIve.com | Director of Technology (Customer facing / Ecommerce)
Chief Technology Lead for upscale e-commerce site with state of the art social applications. Seeking someone who is ready to take on a challenge and lead this exciting and progressive technology effort.
Gifts that Give is seeking a Director of Technology expert to help us build and scale the ecommerce and customer facing technology division of our business. We are a leader in the space of shopping for a cause – social commerce. The role will have responsibility for the vision, leadership, and implementation of overall technology strategy.
We’re seeking a thought leader to bring “TECH 3.0” efficiency to the organization, while maintaining the highest technical standards as our customer base grows exponentially. Our customers are passionate about their charities, communities and contributing to these social causes. We are looking for someone who will have an equal passion to insure they have a premium customer experience.
The Director of Technology role is to assure the successful execution of the company’s business mission through development and company’s web presence. This requires envisioning the company’s service offerings as a web-based business, leading implementation of web applications, and planning for risk and growth.
We interact with top national non-profits, high-profile individuals, and celebrity partners, therefore a thoughtful sense of urgency and positive attitude, along with the desire and vision to create a high level product is important.
Strategy & Planning
- In partnership with the company’s senior team, identify opportunities and risks for delivering the company’s services as a web-based e-commerce business, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of marketplace obstacles and technical hurdles to the business success.
- Identify technology trends and evolving social behavior that may support or impede the success of the business.
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms (including web application frameworks and the deployment stack) for delivering the company’s services. Knowledge of Magento, and Mobile platforms is important and Netsuite, Facebook a plus.
- Lead strategic planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development, and deployment of all web-based services, managing profitability and timeliness of projects.
- Manage a team with a positive and upbeat approach.
- Creating a reasonable technology budget that is creative yet tight – and then manage to that budget.
- Participate as a member of the senior management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately and the organization’s resources are used responsibly, particularly in the areas of software development, office networks and computers, and telecommunications.
- Collaborate with the appropriate departments to assess and recommend technologies that support company organizational needs.
- Establish a governance process that meets government, partner, and company expectations for customer information privacy.
- Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide information security plan that protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the company’s data and servers.
- Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Communicate the company’s technology strategy to investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders.
Implementation & Deployment
- Establish email service for the company (in the absence of a system administrator). Identify the right service to use as we scale the business. Ensure proper implementation is achieved.
- Select and set up a software revision control system and repository (in the absence of a system administrator).
- Select and set up web-based internal communications systems, such as a wiki, blog, project management, and bug tracking systems (in the absence of a system administrator).
- Collaborate with the founders and potential customers to develop use cases (or user stories) and specifications that describe the implementation of the company’s services as a web application.
- As a member of the senior management team, ensure that all designs and functions uphold the high graphic design standard of our Brand, always bearing in mind to maintain our specific Branding guidelines.
- Participate in the selection of all technical hires i.e. graphic designer who will create the company corporate identity and design the web application’s look and feel. Ensure that the graphic designer has sufficient web experience, follows guidelines established in the User Experience design process, and delivers assets that can be easily adapted to web requirements.
- Select and manage company staff or outsourced vendors who will implement a design as web pages using CSS and XHTML conforming to web standards.
- Select or define the company’s software development methodology.
- Establish a specification conformance and testing regimen based on user stories and the User Experience design.
- Promulgate coding conventions and documentation standards.
- Review current best practices for the selected web framework and establish the initial architecture for the application.
- Select and manage company staff or outsourced vendors who will implement the application.
- Establish and supervise the software development process, setting short-term objectives and assessing progress as defined by the selected software development methodology.
- Conduct code reviews and specification conformance testing as defined by the selected software development methodology.
- Establish and supervise a quality assurance process, including integration and system testing.
- Select, deploy, and monitor performance profiling tools and procedures.
- Review and approve proposed development releases and manage the release process.
- Evaluate and select web application hosting providers.
- Establish an application deployment process and supervise deployment to staging and production servers.
- Monitor application performance and review any application failures in staging or production.
- Establish and monitor a web analytics regime that measures site traffic and application usage relative to business goals.
- Support the marketing process by providing implementation of technical requirements for Internet marketing and search engine optimization.
- As a member of the senior management team, establish a customer service and support process, with particular responsibility for web-based services that implement the support function. Establish a process to integrate customer service and support with the software engineering process to support resolution of customer issues and improve application usability.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices by attending relevant conferences and reading widely (including reading your peers’ blogs!).
- Define and communicate company values and standards for acquiring or developing systems, equipment, or software within the company.
- Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization.
- Share knowledge, mentor, and educate the organization’s investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders with regard to the company’s technological vision, opportunities, and challenges.
- Ensure company technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Develop, track, and control the development and deployment annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations.
- Supervise recruitment, training, retention, and organization of all development staff in accordance with the company hiring process, personnel policies, and budget requirements.
- Establish standards of performance and monitor conformance for staff (through performance review) and vendors (through service level agreements).
- Ensure the company’s internal technological processes and customer-facing services comply with community expectations and applicable laws and regulations for privacy, security, and social responsibility.
- Promote achievement of the company’s business goals within a context of community collaboration by developing policies for sharing software code, technological innovation, business processes, and other intellectual property.
- Contribute to open source software development, standardization of technologies, and evolution of best practices by collaborating with peers outside the company, releasing code, presenting at conferences, and writing for publication (online or offline).
Desired Skills & Experience
• Demonstrated ability to envision web-based services, that meet consumer needs or solve business problems. Must be experienced in SaaS.
• Minimum 10 years experience managing web application development.
• Experience with startup companies.
• Hands-on experience coding in more than one currently popular web application framework.
• Familiar with more than one software development methodology.
• Ability to discern user requirements and develop specifications.
• Has contributed to one or more open source projects.
• Knowledge of Drupal, Magento, and Mobile platforms.
• Knowledge of web standards.
• Experience with UNIX system administration and web server configuration.
• Knowledge of Internet protocols and RFC standards, database management systems, and revivion control systems.
• Familiarity with technical requirements of Internet marketing and search engine optimization.
• Familiarity with information security vulnerabilities and risk management.
• Familiarity with consumer privacy and payments industry compliance requirements.
• Exposure to business theory, business process development, governance processes, management, budgeting, and administrative operations.
At Gifts that Give, Inc, we believe in the economic power of individuals who want to make a difference in the world. Gifts that Give is a social commerce business that helps charities leverage the power of the Internet to improve fundraising. Our social commerce platform connects people who are passionate about a social cause in an environment that fosters a strong community bond, encourages low-friction ways to financially support their charity of choice, and empowers advocates to spread the word to their own social network. Our platform includes several functional elements such as: 1) a charitable lifestyle website and blog aggregator, 2) an ecommerce and private sale gifting platform that contributes 20% to the buyer’s choice of charity, 3) a white label or co-branded charity portal and virtual store, and 4) multiple social and mobile apps to drive socially networked fundraising.
Formal Education & Certification
- University degree in the field of computer science or related field.
- An advanced degree in one these fields is a plus.
- 10+ years in the computer science
Aug 21, 2012 news stories
Kevin penned this piece for Fast Company, and you know what? It’s a damn good piece.
Huge credit to Dana Teplitsky, she shared a copy of this classic video of DoubleClick New Hire Orientation, in all its glory. There are cameos from many famous faces and then KO delivers the goods for the remaining chunk of time.